A small riverside cottage in need of major conservation/restoration was bought. Further new build accommodation was required but with a rather more contemporary feel…
The building was a former public house called ‘The Queens Head Hotel.’ The brief was to re-plan the interior of a 2-storey apartment overlooking the Oxford/Cambridge boat race finish line.
After the demolition of a 1960’s building, a new main entrance was built in its place connecting the 1920’s and 18 Century Listed buildings either side with the use of high quality matching materials.
The project designer created the requirement for an unusual Oak feature sited at a high point in the property and which various tapestries flowed throughout the building charting the history of the house and its occupants.
In 2008 the Finchingfield Guildhall trust was formed to save the site from dereliction. Expert craftsmen were employed using ancient techniques, and local materials were sourced.